How Can My Child Get Help in School?

Children in school will get support that is specific to their individual needs. This may be provided by the subject teacher, through differentiated work, or may involve, for students with specific, identified needs any of the following:

  • Other staff in the school, for example Teaching Assistants
  • Staff who will visit the school for example the Communication Autism Team, Sensory Support Service (for students with a hearing or visual need), Pupil School Support Services or The Educational Psychologist

What are the different types of support available for children with SEND in this school?

1. Quality first, targeted classroom teaching.

  • All of our teachers have the highest possible expectations for your child and all pupils in their class.
  • All teaching is based on building on what your child already knows, can do and can understand. Teaching is adaptive – we adapt pace and content of the lesson for our learners needs.

2. Small group or one to one teaching.

  • Your child’s subject teacher will regularly check on your child’s progress to assess their learning and understanding.Some extra support may be needed to help to support.
  • Your child’s teacher will will identify these needs and make targeted departmental interventions or a TA will run small group or individual sessions using before school, lunchtimes or after school slots.

3. Specialist support from outside agencies.

  • Your child will probably have been identified in primary school as having an additional need or you will have raised concerns around the need for more specialist input in addition to excellent classroom teaching, differentiation and out of lesson interventions.
  • You will be asked to come to a meeting to discuss your child’s progress and help plan possible ways forward.
  • You may be asked to give your permission for the school to refer your child to a specialist professional for example the Educational Psychologist. This will help the school and yourself understand your child’s particular needs better and be able to support them more fully in school.
  • The specialist professional will work with your child to understand their needs and make recommendations.

4. Specified individual support for your child. This is usually provided via an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP).

  • It might be that professionals in school or you as a parent / career feel that your child needs specialised, individual support. In this case we will meet with you to discuss the legal process of working with the Local Education Authority to develop an Education Health Care Plan.

How can I let the school know I am concerned about my child’s progress in school?

  • If you have concerns about your child’s progress you should initially email or speak to your child’s subject teacher.
  • If these concerns continue you should speak to their  Achievement Co-ordinator, who will be able to advise if this is of a wider concern and will support staff in putting in more specific interventions.
  • If your  child is still not making progress then the achievement co-ordinator might make a referral to the Director of Inclusion or you can speak directly  to the Director of Inclusion.
  • If you are not happy that the concerns are being managed correctly and that your child is still not making progress you should speak to the Headteacher.

Associate Assistant Headteacher for Inclusion (SENDCo)- Mrs S Clews Email:

Headteacher – Mrs Cooney Email via: 

SEND Governor Email via:

What support does the school have for you as a parent of a child with SEND?

  • You can talk to your child’s subject teachers, Review tutor and Achievement Co-ordinator on a regular basis so we are all aware of what they are doing at home and in school. We hope this will ensure that we are doing similar things to support your child both at home and school and can share what is working in both places.

How we support your child to access all aspects of school including enrichment activities.

  • We provide support with homework and reading before school, lunchtime, and after school.
  • Departments make specific departmental interventions as needed.
  • We have a wide range of intervention programmes to support literacy and numeracy skills.
  • All students are encouraged to participate in enrichment activities.

How will the school support your child when they are leaving this school or moving to another year?

To ensure that any transition is a smooth as possible.

If your child is moving to another school:

  • We will contact the school and ensure any information about any special arrangements or support that needs to be made for your child is passed on. We will pass on all of your child’s records to their new school.

When moving year groups in school:

  • All teachers have access to information which will make them aware of your child’s needs prior to teaching them.
  • Your child will meet with a ‘Careers worker to create a plan for their Post 16 education.
  • If necessary, for students with a EHCP the Learning support Team will accompany your child on visits to new schools/colleges.

This website uses cookies to improve your experience.